It has supervisory powers over the municipal administration and deliberates on the most important matters for the municipality, on the proposal of the municipal council, in accordance with the law. It can also give its opinion on other matters of interest to the municipality and receive petitions from citizens and their organisations.
The law provides for 5 regular sessions to be held annually: February, April, June, September and November or December.
As for extraordinary sessions, the periodicity may be: monthly - political statements; quarterly - questions to the council; half-yearly - questions about parishes; annual - debate on the state of the city. Extraordinary sessions may also be held for thematic debates, without a previously defined periodicity.
It consists of 75 municipal deputies: 51 directly elected, and the presidents of the 24 Lisbon parish councils.
- Coligação Mais Lisboa ( Partido Socialista | Livre | Cidadãos por Lisboa ) - 17 deputies + 13 presidents of parish councils
- Coligação Novos Tempos Lisboa ( Partido Social Democrata | CDS-Partido Popular | Aliança | Partido da Terra | Partido Popular Monárquico ) - 17 deputies + 10 presidents of parish councils
- Coligação Democrática Unitária ( Partido Comunista Português | Partido Ecologista os Verdes ) - 6 deputies + 1 president of parish council
- Bloco de Esquerda - 4 deputies
- Iniciativa Liberal - 3 deputies
- Chega - 3 deputies
- Pessoas-Animais-Natureza - 1 deputy